Significance and Impact of the Study: The data from this research will contribute to a better understanding of the role of the microbiota in the pathogenesis of psoriasis, contributing to the identification of biomarkers that will aid in early diagnosis and the choice or development of more personalized and effective treatments.
Background: Although the laparoscopic access is becoming the preferable treatment for femoral hernia, there are only few studies on this important subject. Aim: To assess the outcomes of the totally extraperitoneal laparoscopic (TEP) access in the treatment of femoral hernia. Methods: Data of 62 patients with femoral hernia who underwent herniorrhaphy were retrospectively reviewed. The diagnosis of femoral hernia was established by clinical and/or imaging exams in 55 patients and by laparoscopic findings in seven. Results: There were 55 (88.7%) females and 7 (11.3%) males, with female to male ratio of 8:1. The mean age was of 58.9±15.9 years, ranging from 22 to 92 years. Most patients (n=53; 85.5%) had single hernia and the remaining (n=9; 14.5%) bilateral, making a total of 71 hernias operated. Prior lower abdominal operations were recorded in 21 (33.9%) patients. Conversion to laparoscopic transabdominal preperitoneal procedure was performed in four (6.5%). Open herniorrhaphy was needed in two (3.2%), one with spontaneous enterocutaneous fistula in the groin region (Richter’s hernia) and the another with incidental perforation of the adjacent small bowel that occurred during dissection of hernia sac. There was no mortality. Conclusion: Femoral hernia is uncommon, and it may be associated with potentially severe complications. Most femoral hernias may be successfully treated with totally extraperitoneal laparoscopic access, with low conversion and complication rates.
INTRODUCTION.Prevention measures are highly important to poor communities because surveillance and access to health care may be limited.OBJECTIVES We aimed establish measures to contain and suppress the spread of COVID-19, associating education, active case tracking, and humanitarian aid in two needy communities in Brazil. The adherence to the measures and evolution of the number of cases were verified during the project.MATERIALS AND METHODS.The target population consisted of approximately 1300 participants(350 families). A collection of epidemiological data was performed in family members registered for the project. Rapid tests were performed on people who had symptoms and their contacts. Scientific information through audio-visual materials,educational pamphlets written in colloquial language, food parcels,masks,hygiene and cleaning materials were provided directly to family nuclei. RESULTS The common needs faced by families were food inputs and/or ready-to-eat food, mentioned by 91.4% (233) of the people, and hygienic and cleaning materials, mentioned by 30.6% (78) of the people. Only 34.9% (84) of families had 70% rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer gel at home.The most frequently cited sources of information on COVID-19 were television [cited by 82.4% (210) of the people]; social media [25.5% (65)]; friends, neighbours, or family members [13.7% (35)]; and radio [11.4% (29)] .A total of 83.7% (175) stated that the actions helped them to avoid leaving the community.CONCLUSIONS Community isolation may be the best way to contain the spread of pandemics in fragile populations with low socio-economic status.Educational actions combined with rapid testing and humanitarian aid were objective forms to promote community isolation.
Background and Objectives: There is a dearth of studies on laparoscopic treatment of female groin hernia. Our study assessed the outcome of groin hernia repair in females employing the totally extraperitoneal laparoscopic (TEP) access.Methods: Data of all females who were subjected to laparoscopic groin herniorrhaphy, from August 1998 to February 2020 were retrospectively obtained. Groin hernia repair was routinely started with TEP access.Results: A total of 2,399 patients who underwent laparoscopic groin herniorrhaphy, 254 (10.6%), were females. Most females (n = 191; 75.2%) had single hernia and the remaining (n = 63; 24.8%) had bilateral hernias, making a total of 317 hernias operated. Indirect inguinal hernia was the most common hernia type (72.5%), followed by femoral hernia (17.4%) and direct hernia (10.1%). Prior lower abdominal operations were recorded in 97 (38.2%) patients. Conversion to a laparoscopic transabdominal preperitoneal procedure was performed due to technical difficulties to dissect the preperitoneal space in 17 patients (6.7%) and to open procedure in only one patient (0.4%) with incarcerated femoral hernia in whom an incidental perforation of the small bowel occurred. Intra-and postoperative complications occurred in 12 (4.7%) and 15 (5.9%) patients, respectively. There was no mortality. Most patients (n = 221; 87%) were discharged on the same day of the operation. Hernia recurrence was diagnosed in 6 patients (2.4%).
Conclusion:It is concluded that females with groin hernia may be successfully treated with totally extraperitoneal laparoscopic access, with low conversion and complication rates.
scite is a Brooklyn-based organization that helps researchers better discover and understand research articles through Smart Citations–citations that display the context of the citation and describe whether the article provides supporting or contrasting evidence. scite is used by students and researchers from around the world and is funded in part by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health.