- Of purpose — that of reducing individual and social psychopathology;
- Of goals — increasing the validity of psychiatric diagnosis even as we have increased its reliability (Insel, 2013[ 9 ]); of unravelling the aetiopathology of psychiatric disorders; finding precision in diagnostics and investigative tests (Singh, 2013[ 18 ]); finding biomarkers; and finding precise therapies for precise disorders that control such disorders; and not just control, but can finally cure them; find methods of primary prevention; identify what makes people healthy, happy, and fulfilled in the face of current world challenges (Cloninger 2013[ 3 ]); propel movement from mental disorder to mental health; and, further, progress to individual actualisation and personal and collective well-being and longevity (Singh, 2010[ 17 ]).
- Of practice :
- In therapy : By synergising psychopharmacology with psychotherapy/therapies, social therapies and pharmacogenetics;
- In diagnostics : By identifying the phenotype-genotype-endophenotype axis (Schwartz, 2013[ 14 ]); and
- By promoting such a synergy of therapy and diagnostics as brings about, firstly, efficient control, and, finally, cure/primary prevention of psychiatric disorders.