Background:Colorectal cancer has a higher incidence in the rectum and sigmoid. However, with the expansion of the diagnosis of superficial lesions interest in the diagnosis and in the role they play in colorectal carcinogenesis has increased. Aim:To verify the behavior of superficial lesions of the colon and rectum, comparing the pathological and endoscopic findings, below and above 65 years. Methods:Cross-sectional study with prospective evaluation of standard protocol, where 200 patients with colorectal superficial lesions were evaluated; they were submitted to colonoscopy and mucosectomy of these lesions. They were divided in two age groups, below and above 65 years. Results: One hundred-and-eight were women (54%) and 92 men (46%). Most colon lesions were localized in the right colon (95%) and the remaining (5%) in the rectum. In endoscopy, 77.20% were granular lesions in patients under 65 years and 77.90% above. Colon histology showed low grade intraepithelial neoplasia, being 69.79% in patients under and 73.70% in above 65 years. In rectum, above 65 years the incidence of high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia was higher (66.70%). Conclusion:The superficial colorectal lesions have been more endoscopically diagnosed today, and the highest incidence is the granular type, both in the colon and rectum, regardless of age. Regardless the age, histologically colon lesions were more as low grade intraepithelial neoplasia. In rectum, there was distinction for both age groups, being more frequent high grade intraepithelial neoplasia in patients over 65 years.
scite is a Brooklyn-based startup that helps researchers better discover and understand research articles through Smart Citations–citations that display the context of the citation and describe whether the article provides supporting or contrasting evidence. scite is used by students researchers from around the world and is funded in part by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health.