BACKGROUND: Internal hernia (IH) following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) is a major complication that challenges the surgeon due to its non-specific presentation and necessity of early repair. Delayed diagnosis and surgical intervention of IH might lead to increased morbidity of patients and impairments in their quality of life. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the predictive factors for early diagnosis and surgical repair of IH after LRYGB. METHODS: This study analyzed 38 patients during the postoperative period of LRYGB who presented clinical manifestations suggestive of IH after an average of 24 months following the bariatric procedure. RESULTS: The sample consisted of 10 men and 28 women, with a mean age of 37.5 years and a mean body mass index (BMI) of 39.6 kg/m2 before LRYGB. All patients presented pain, 23 presented abdominal distension, 10 had nausea and 12 were vomiting; three of them had dysphagia, three had diarrhea and one had gastro-esophageal reflux. The patients presented symptoms for an average of 15 days, varying from 3 to 50 days. Seventeen (45.9%) patients were seen once, while the other 20 (54.1%) went to the emergency room twice or more times. Exploratory laparoscopy was performed on all patients, being converted to laparotomy in three cases. Petersen hernia was confirmed in 22 (57.9%). Petersen space was closed in all patients and the IH correction was performed in 20 (52.6%) cases. The herniated loop showed signs of vascular suffering in seven patients, and two (5.3%) had irreversible ischemia, requiring bowel resection. CONCLUSION: The presence of recurrent abdominal pain is one of the main indicators for the diagnosis of IH after LRYGB. Patients operated at an early stage, even with negative imaging tests for this disease, benefited from rapid and simple procedures without major complications.
Background: Among Roux-en-Y gastric bypass complications is the occurrence of intestinal obstruction by the appearance of internal hernias, which may occur in Petersen space or the opening in mesenteric enteroenteroanastomosis. Aim: To evaluate the efficiency and safety in performing a fixing jejunal maneuver in the transverse mesocolon to prevent internal hernia formation in Petersen space. Method: Two surgical points between the jejunum and the transverse mesocolon, being 5 cm and 10 cm from duodenojejunal angle are made. In all patients was left Petersen space open and closing the opening of the mesenteric enteroenteroanastomosis. Results: Among 52 operated patients, 35 were women (67.3%). The age ranged 18-63 years, mean 39.2 years. BMI ranged from 35 to 56 kg/m2 (mean 40.5 kg/m2). Mean follow-up was 15.1 months (12-18 months). The operative time ranged from 68-138 min. There were no intraoperative complications, and there were no major postoperative complications and no reoperations. The hospital stay ranged from 2-3 days. During the follow-up, no one patient developed suspect clinical presentation of internal hernia. Follow-up in nine patients (17.3%) showed asymptomatic cholelithiasis and underwent elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy. During these procedures were verified the Petersen space and jejunal fixation. In all nine, there was no herniation of the jejunum to the right side in Petersen space. Conclusion: The fixation of the first part of the jejunum to left side of the transverse mesocolon is safe and effective to prevent internal Petersen hernia in RYGB postoperatively in the short and medium term. It may be interesting alternative to closing the Petersen space.
scite is a Brooklyn-based startup that helps researchers better discover and understand research articles through Smart Citations–citations that display the context of the citation and describe whether the article provides supporting or contrasting evidence. scite is used by students researchers from around the world and is funded in part by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health.
334 Leonard St
Brooklyn, NY 11211
Copyright © 2023 scite Inc. All rights reserved.
Made with 💙 for researchers