Homozygous BclI G allele carriers are at risk for traumatic memories, posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms, and lower health-related quality of life after cardiac surgery and intensive care unit therapy. The BclI single-nucleotide polymorphism may help to identify individuals at need for tailored medical care.
ObjectivesTo describe the patient populations and infections being treated with daptomycin, as well as the efficacy and safety outcomes.Patients and methodsData from the European Cubicin Outcomes Registry and Experience (EU-CORESM), retrospectively collected at 118 institutions between January 2006 and August 2008, were analysed.ResultsDaptomycin treatment was documented in 1127 patients with diverse infections, including complicated skin and soft tissue infections (33%), bacteraemia (22%), endocarditis (12%) and osteomyelitis (6%). It was used empirically, before microbiological results became available, in 53% of patients. Staphylococcus aureus was the most common pathogen (34%), with 52% of isolates resistant to methicillin; coagulase-negative staphylococci and enterococci were also frequent, with 22% of Enterococcus faecium isolates resistant to vancomycin. Daptomycin was used as first-line therapy in 302 (27%) patients. When used second line, the most common reasons for discontinuation of previous antibiotic were treatment failure and toxicity or intolerance. The use of concomitant antibiotics was reported in 65% of patients. Most frequent doses were 6 mg/kg (47%) and 4 mg/kg (32%). The median duration of daptomycin therapy was 10 days (range 1–246 days) in the inpatient setting and 13 days (range 2–189 days) in the outpatient setting. The overall clinical success rate was 79%, with a clinical failure rate of <10% for all infection types. Low failure rates were observed in first- and second-line therapy (6% and 8%, respectively). Daptomycin demonstrated a favourable safety and tolerability profile regardless of treatment duration.ConclusionsDaptomycin has a relevant role in the treatment of Gram-positive infections.
Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are a promising clinical therapy for ischemic stroke. However, critical parameters, such as the most effective administration route, remain unclear. Intravenous (i.v.) and intraarterial (i.a.) delivery routes have yielded varied outcomes across studies, potentially due to the unknown MSCs distribution. We investigated whether MSCs reached the brain following i.a. or i.v. administration after transient cerebral ischemia in rats, and evaluated the therapeutic effects of both routes. MSCs were labeled with dextran-coated superparamagnetic nanoparticles for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) cell tracking, transmission electron microscopy and immunohistological analysis. MSCs were found in the brain following i.a. but not i.v. administration. However, the i.a. route increased the risk of cerebral lesions and did not improve functional recovery. The i.v. delivery is safe but MCS do not reach the brain tissue, implying that treatment benefits observed for this route are not attributable to brain MCS engrafting after stroke.
Our results suggest that exon 7 skipping in the BSCL2 gene due to the c.985C>T mutation is responsible for a novel early onset, fatal neurodegenerative syndrome involving cerebral cortex and basal ganglia.
SummaryArterial hypotension with vasopressor dependence is a major problem after cardiac surgery. We evaluated the early postoperative course of 1558 consecutive patients scheduled for cardiac surgery, and compared the outcome of patients with and without vasopressor dependence (defined as the need for > 0.1 lg.kg )1 .h )1 noradrenaline for > 3 h in the face of normovolaemia).Vasopressor dependence was diagnosed in 424 patients (27%) and was associated with a higher incidence of postoperative renal failure (67 (15.7%) vs 7 (0.6%), respectively; p < 0. .
In FPLD2 participants, prelamin A accumulation in peripheral scAT is associated with a reduced expression of several genes involved in adipogenesis, which could perturb the balance between proliferation and differentiation in adipocytes, leading to less efficient tissue regeneration.
scite is a Brooklyn-based startup that helps researchers better discover and understand research articles through Smart Citations–citations that display the context of the citation and describe whether the article provides supporting or contrasting evidence. scite is used by students researchers from around the world and is funded in part by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health.